Welcome to Kimbolton and Stonely
The High Street, looking towards Kimbolton Castle,
at Kimbolton, Huntingdonshire
Chenebalton (11th century); Chenebolton (12th century); Kenebalton
(12th-13th century); Kenebaulton (13th century); Kembauton (14th
century); Kymbalton (14th-17th century); Kymbolton, Kimoltoun,
Guimolton, Quybolton (16th century) and Kimbolton (Modern).
Kimbolton, before the Conquest, was the property of Earl Harold.
King William I gave it to William de Warren; but a little later he
conferred it upon William de Mandeville. From the Mandevilles it
passed by heir-ship through the families of Bohun and Stafford to
Edward Stafford, Duke of Buckingham, who was beheaded by King Henry
VIII, and his estates forfeited. Kimbolton was thereupon given to
Sir Richard Wingfield who had married, as his first wife, the widow
of the previous Duke. Sir James Wingfield, fourth in descent from
Sir Richard, sold Kimbolton to Sir Henry Montagu, who was created
Earl of Manchester in 1626, and whose successor, the Duke of
Manchester, was the owner in 1910.
Kimbolton may be the smallest 'town' in the District of
Huntingdonshire but it's by far the prettiest, being situated in a
wooded valley on the River Till or Kim. The picturesque Market
Place, dominated by the Castle Gatehouse, is bordered with
interesting 17th and 18th century houses, at the end of which is the
stately church. Close by, down a back lane, is a Moravian church.
Here is Kimbolton Castle, a large 18th century building now
converted into a school. Kimbolton Castle, once the seat of the Duke
of Manchester, was a stronghold in very early times. It became the
place of retirement of Queen Katherine of Aragon after her divorce,
and here she died on January 8th 1536. Henry 1st Earl of Manchester,
made considerable alterations to the house, but it was almost
entirely re-built by Charles 4th Earl and 1st Duke of Manchester. In
the early 20th century it was occupied by Lord Charles Montagu uncle
of the Duke.
Stanlegh, Staynley (13th century); Stonle (13th-16th century);
Stoneley (16th-17th century) and Stonely (Modern).
At Stonely, a nearby hamlet, are some scanty remains of an
Kimbolton and Stonely are one of the parishes of the District of
Huntingdonshire, whose administrative centre is
Huntingdon, the other principle towns being
home of the Chapel on the Bridge,
the largest town in the County of Cambridgeshire, the Roman town of
site of the former Abbey.
The box below displays a random selection from the great deals, special
offers and/or SALE items that are available from the
site members but you may follow this link to view all the
current what's HOT in the district.
Forthcoming Events in or around Kimbolton and Stonely
Here are the next five events in the Huntingdonshire Event Diary, the local ones are coloured GOLD and
clicking the title will open links to event detail on this website whilst
following the "Out of Village' events will open in a new window on their
own website. Click 'Show Summary' for exactly what it says,
without going anywhere!
If you are organising an event anywhere if Huntingdonshire then follow this link for information
on how to add a new event and advertise your event on over 50 websites
SORRY - We do not have any events in the new diary yet!